It took 120 years to write and ratify the 19th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution, which gave women the right to vote. The 19th Amendment was passed on August 26, 1920 – a day we now observe across the country as National Women’s Equality Day.
Every August 26th, Vision 2020 takes time to honor the women whose courage and action paved the way for future generations; we salute these women through the annual Vision 2020 Toast to Tenacity®.
New in 2017 is the Vision 2020 HERstory Hunt, a hands-on women's history scavenger hunt that inspires girls and boys to go beyond the traditional telling of history to find the underrepresented voices of the past, and especially to find the places where women have served as leaders or important historical figures.
The HERstory Hunt works with the Toast to Tenacity® to help us honor not only the women who persevered against the odds and gained the right to vote, but all women who have led the charge for positive change in this country.
On Saturday, August 26, 2017, Vision 2020 will host the HERstory Hunt followed by the Toast to Tenacity at Independence National Historical Park (INHP) in Philadelphia. The HERstory Hunt agenda is as follows:
- 10 a.m.-12 p.m. – HERstory Hunt throughout INHP
- 12:00-12:30 p.m. – HERstory Hunt awards and snacks
If you would like to stay for the Toast to Tenacity®, it will take place from 12:30-1 p.m. at INHP's Visitor Center.
HERstory Hunt Rules
- Teams must be 3-6 participants and are required to be present at the rally point at 10 a.m.; the rally point is Varnum's Picnic Area, located at 4800 Valley Forge Park Road, King of Prussia, PA 19406.
- Every team must have at least one person over the age of 18.
- Each team will receive a map, clue sheet, and instructions on how best to navigate the park.
- Your clue sheet will direct you to six different women’s history sites within Independence National Historical Park. Find those spots and post a photo or video of yourself in each location to your Instagram, Twitter and/or Facebook using the #HERstoryHunt hashtag, or on Snapchat using the HERstory Hunt geo-filter.
- In order to be eligible for prizes, participants must also tag Vision 2020 and Independence National Historical Park in photos and videos.
Participate on Social Media
As you chronicle your journey throughout the park, please tag Vision 2020 and Independence National Historical Park on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter, and use the hashtag #HERstoryHunt. Don’t forget to snap your way through the hunt using our HERstory Hunt filter on Snapchat!
10:00-10:30 - Event check-in
10:30-11:00 - Welcome remarks and program instructions
11:00-12:00 - Scavenger hunt
12:00-12:30 - Award presentations and snacks
The Vision 2020 HERstory Hunt is open to the public.
For more information, visit http://drexel.edu/vision2020/events/calendar/details/?eid=13187&iid=40797.